INSURANCE . RETIREMENT . INVESTMENTS
In this week’s piece, we’d like to discuss steps you can take to reduce the chances of developing critical illnesses. While it is great to protect yourself and have a safety net in the form of a Critical Illness Insurance Plan, simple preventative steps can be taken to help limit the likelihood of developing critical illnesses.
Below are 5 steps you can take to reduce Critical Illnesses -
1. Exercise – Exercise is scientifically proven to reduce the instances of illness, particularly cardiovascular diseases, hypertension and heart attacks. Just 30 minutes of exercise per day can strengthen your cardiovascular system and reduce chances of developing heart problems later on in life.
2. Diet – Your diet is another important factors in reducing critical illnesses. Ideally, your daily diet should be balanced and include clean carbohydrates sources (potatoes, beans, provisions), protein (chicken, fish, lean meats), vegetables and fruit. This, combined with regular exercise, can reduce the likelihood of cardiovascular diseases and diseases of the digestive system. Not only can you reduce the risk of developing a critical illness by having a balanced diet, but you can also maintain a healthy weight as well.
3. Family history – Knowing your family history is crucial when it comes to critical illnesses in order to understand your chances of developing hereditary diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and cancer. This allows you to make changes to your lifestyle to help mitigate the chances of developing the illness or gives you the time you need to manage the illness, should it occur.
4. Making lifestyle changes – While we all would like to enjoy life to the fullest, unfortunately some of our favourite foods, drinks and habits can be contributing towards developing critical illnesses. For example, excessive alcohol consumption can lead to both heart and liver disease. By making a lifestyle change and limiting your consumption, you can reduce the risk of developing a critical illness.
5. Get regular check-ups – We take our health for granted when we assume that we are in perfect health and do not need check-ups. A yearly check-up can be the difference between life and death if the doctor identifies any diseases that may be developing in your body. Take cancer for example; during a check-up the doctor may identify cells that can become cancerous over time and advise you to have it removed as soon as possible, thus reducing the likelihood of developing cancer.
The sooner you are diagnosed, the sooner you can manage disease and illnesses by taking proper measures.
Interested in taking out a Critical Illness Insurance Plan? Call Guardian Life Limited at 1-888-FOR LIFE (367-5433) for more information today!
We hope this piece was an informative one for you. Thanks for reading and please join us again next week for more!