INSURANCE . RETIREMENT . INVESTMENTS
COVID-19 has left many of us working from home amidst nationwide lockdowns and this is certainly a drastic change from our usual work habits. Now that we are working from home, it is easy for the lines that separate work and life to become blurred, leading to overwork and fatigue. Today we have put together some tips on how you can maintain a healthy work-life balance.
What are some ways you can maintain a healthy Work-Life balance? Read more below:
1. Prioritise and manage your time – Create a to-do list with your daily tasks for work. This helps you to allocate enough time per task and keeps you on track to finish all tasks by the end of your working day.
Not only this, but by keeping better track of your work time, you are less likely to use your free time.
If a particular task normally takes you one hour to do, time yourself so that you finish this task right on time, with no time wasted. This allows you to practise good time management and be more efficient in your tasks.
A benefit of this is that in time, you will be able to complete these tasks in less time, which gives you more time to allocate to your personal life.
2. Make use of technology – Technology exists to make our lives and our jobs simpler and easier. It also exists to improve our efficiency and productivity and helps us to get things done in less time, so do not shy away from using it.
Not only this, but technology is rapidly developing day by day and providing new and exciting ways to work that are less stressful for you.
PRO TIP - Have an important meeting coming up that you must leave the office to attend? Switch to online platforms such as Skype and Zoom instead of meeting physically to save yourself time and effort.
3. Ask for assistance – There is nothing wrong with asking for assistance if a task proves too much for you to handle alone, or simply to get a task done more quickly. This is where your network comes into play.
Reach out to your friends or co-workers and ask for their input in your task and help share the workload. Not only does this get the task done quicker and more efficiently, but it takes the additional physical and mental stress off you.
By having a network you can count on, you are able to delegate tasks and manage your work time more efficiently, leading a better balance between work and personal life.
4. Be realistic with your goals and tasks – Many times we encounter difficulties when we plot unrealistic goals and tasks, particularly in our work life. This can be something as simple as trying to complete a task in an unrealistic timeframe,
which can lead you to overworking and crossing into your personal time.
Instead, set realistic timeframes for completion, and spread out larger tasks over a period to make them more manageable.
5. Make time for yourself – The most important tip is to make time for yourself. It may sound like a simple concept but many times we lose track of our personal life and have less time for ourselves by becoming engrossed in our work life. This can cause you to become mentally, physically and emotionally fatigued in the long-run and both your work and personal life suffers. Be aware of your body and how you feel and take time for yourself if you are starting to feel overwhelmed or overworked.
Give yourself all the time off you need. Go on that 2-week vacation with your family that you have been thinking about for the past year or just kick back and give yourself a weekend to do nothing but relax.
We thank you for joining us for this week’s article. Achieving a work-life balance takes time and we hope that these tips are useful in helping you to find your balance.